[syslinux] PXE looping on localboot

Waldron, Michael H mwaldron at email.unc.edu
Thu May 24 06:09:55 PDT 2012

I have seen posts about this problem, but have had trouble finding how/if it was resolved. I am trying to upgrade from syslinux-3.11 to syslinux-3.86 on RHEL5.

On 3.86, when it performs a local boot from hard disk, it just keeps looping back into PXE boot again instead of booting from the hard disk. It will perform a system install just fine, but when it switches to localboot after the install, it keeps looping through PXE boot.

The file in pxelinux.cfg looks like this:
#boot
DEFAULT xCAT
LABEL xCAT
LOCALBOOT 0

This works just fine in 3.11. I also noticed that in 3.86, there's a message on the console about "!PXE entry point not found" which I don't see in 3.11. The hardware involved is IBM BladeCenter HS21, with onboard Broadcom gigabit ethernet.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Mike Waldron