[syslinux] PXE looping on localboot

Lee Eric openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Thu May 24 20:37:18 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Lee,
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lee Eric <openlinuxsource at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay guys, 2 suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Change your NBP to the latest version.
>> 2. Using chain.c32 as chainloader. It's quite stable as I tried in
>> many different servers.
>
> Regarding chain.c32, is there a consensus here that using it against
> hd0 (or hd1, hd2, hdN) is the most robust way to move from PXELINUX to
> a local disk?  I remember that doing so was always a little bit
> difficult when working with gPXE, and PXELINUX's "localboot" directive
> was always much more reliable on the Dell Optiplex systems I was
> working with at the time (of course, iPXE has since worked around that
> problem by allowing "sanboot" to apply to local disks).

Mate, I ever used localboot to boot up a hard disk. But due to
firmware/BIOS defect some systems cannot handle it well. chain.c32 can
solve that issue well.
> Back to the point of my question though, I do recall some instances
> where PXELINUX's localboot didn't quite work correctly
> (troubleshooting a server or something by PXE booting is always a fun
> pastime :D), so, do you recommend using chain.c32 only as a workaround
> to this and similar problems, or actually as a best practice for
> situations where PXELINUX is part of a standard boot process?
It's not a workaround. I do recommend to use this way to boot up hard disk.
I have lots of systems including workstations and servers in my DC. It
runs well.