[syslinux] Scientific Linux, Centos, Fedora, etc without grub (only extlinux)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri May 25 15:58:34 PDT 2012

On 05/24/2012 12:14 AM, Dwight Schauer wrote:
> OK, I can do Debian and Ubuntu installs that don't use grub (and don't
> even install it) and instead only use extlinux. The extlinux
> configuration gets automatically updated during kernel upgrades,
> changes to extlinux configuration in /etc, and so forth.
>
> Is there anyway to do this in a straightforward (or semi
> straightforward) way in a modern RedHat derivative? On old legacy
> installs that the kernel never/rarely gets updated, sure, it is not
> hard to maintain extlinux configuration by hand. But on an
> installation where the kernel is updated semi-regularly, I don't want
> to have to fix my extlinux configuration by hand each time.
>
> I've looked into it some, but I've not found a standard way of doing
> it yet. (But I've not dug into it all that hard).
>
> As I said, with Debian/Ubuntu it is very easy to use extlinux instead
> of grub from beginning of an install. (ok, not the default install
> media CDs from Canonical, I'm talking about a debootstrap based
> install).
>
> My RedHat derivative installs would likely originate from my own
> install bootstrap via yum.

Most of the infrastructure is there, but as far as I know noone has
taken the last pieces and pushed them into Fedora.  The Fedora people
have said they will accept those changes if they get them.

What I do on systems that don't work with Grub is I just have a small
shell script to create the extlinux configuration and just run it
manually or from cron.