[syslinux] Pxechn.c32

Arends, R.R. r.r.arends at hr.nl
Thu May 31 04:34:01 PDT 2012

> 0) In case someone else has insight or searches later, I'd like to have
> this on list.  Some clients may work better with reply all.  If you're not
> on the list yet, I believe the posts by unsubscribed addresses are
> moderated.

> with
>> > a vesamenu option.

>> > contact the next-server (main pxe) instead of the wds server.

>> > Assuming 145.24.129.191 is your WDS, the following should work:
>>
>> correct thats our wds server.
>>

>> > LABEL wds
>> > COM32 modules/pxechn.c32
>> > APPEND 145.24.129.191::boot\x86\wdsnbp.com -W
>>
>> thanks for your reply, i just tried your suggestion. But it gives me the
> same output.
>> it still tries the next-server 145.24.41.6 instead of 145.24.129.191.
>> "Booting..."
>> "Downloaded WDSNBP..."
>> "Architecture: x64"
>> "WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral."
>> "Contacting Server: 145.24.41.6 (Gateway: 145.24.129.253).."
>> "No response from Windows Deployment Services server."
>> "Launching pxeboot.com..."
>> "TFTP download failed"
>>
>> see attachment for screenshot.
>>
>> do i need to update syslinux aswel? or would the latest pxechn.c32 be
> sufficient?
>> ie. was there a commit to syslinux aswel for this to work, or is it just
> pxechn.c32 that does the work.
>
> Ideally, yes.  Could you try plain pxelinux.0 without introducung gPXE/IPXE
> for the moment or even the prebuilt binaries in the binary/source archive?
> My testing has also been on VMware platforms and was successful.

just tried two things:
- gpxelinux.0 from the same git build (today) as i use pxechn.c32, but wds still tries to contact my main pxe server instead of wds.
- pxelinux.0 also from the same git build, and this works. so looks like the gpxe layer is stopping pxechn.c32 from filling in the dhcp packet, note that i use '#!gpxe set use-cached 1'  so that the dhcp request isn't done twice (we chainload from undipxe).

might that use-cached be in the way of pxechn.c32 to correctly overwrite the cached packed?

>> > Be sure to match the directory separator and case that WDS normally
> uses.
>> > I'll check mine and update doc/pxechn.txt with an example and these
> notes.
>>
>> yeh an example in the doc would be very nice :). although i kinda had the
> right syntax, looks like the directory seperator doesn't really matter here.
>
> Just thinking consistency.
>
> --Gene

rgds,

Rene