[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre9

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Nov 1 11:35:31 PDT 2012

Op 1-11-2012 16:35, Ady schreef:

> You probably meant:
> "...as the config file is searched for by ldlinux.SYS (in 4.06 and
> before)?"
>
> Additionally, AFAIK and FWIW, the search (in 4.06) for the cfg file
> was not in the same order as you wrote it.

Yes you're right, I'll try to check the wiki next time to see if
everything is properly fully documented before making any claims.

> The new PATH directive is for the new dependencies for c32 modules. I
> haven't tested it yet (and hopefully it supports simultaneous MIXED
> relative paths and absolute paths too).

I've not tried 5.xx either in fear of getting certain disks that are
bootable, non-bootable for a while due to some issue. As I prefer the
minimalist approach of having as few files as possible, I'd tend to
stick to 4.xx branch as 5.xx has ldlinux.c32 for example extra.

Your mentioning of hugely increased disk sizes for each binary isn't
that positive either in deciding to switch or not, as I sometimes add
syslinux to bootdisks.

If files are getting quite a larger disk-size anyway it might be easier
for non-CD to stick to using some version of GRUB.

> Now in 5.00(preN), ldlinux.c32 is initially installed together with
> ldlinux.sys. My question is whether it can be moved after the
> installation, and whether the INITIAL CWD depends on the location of
> ldlinux.sys (in SYSLINUX) or on the location of ldlinux.c32.

that's interesting indeed, especially if the installer would have the
option of only updating the bootsector. Move core files somewhere, run
the installer to update bootsector without recreating core files, and
see if bootsector finds LDLINUX.SYS, and LDLINUX.SYS finds LDLINUX.C32

> In the UPX package ( upx.sf.net ), there are several notes (in almost
> each file included in the package) about potential issues with
> different types of executable files. I don't know whether those notes
> are relevant for any file in the Syslinux package.

As 5.xx series is modular anyway, and likely allows one module to load
another one, why not have some kind of UNGZIP.C32 so all other modules
can be compressed by ZIP, GZIP, LZMA (7z), LZMA2 (UX) ?

ldlinux.sys -> ldlinux.c32 -> unzip.c32 -> memdisk.gz -> bootdisk.gz

> Just for the sake of testing the potential compression (and without
> testing any resulting file), the c32 files in 5.00pre9 seem to be not
> supported. OTOH, the installers seem to be supported, with the
> resulting executable files being around 44% of the original file.

Even syslinux64.exe ? UPX v3.08 didn't like it, something about
"exe-new". I've got no experience with the linux-based installer, sorry.

> PS (completely unrelated): Bernd, you should find copybs.com in
> 5.00-pre9.

Thanks for pointing that out. Last time I was looking for COPYBS was for
usage in Windows I think, trying to get Windows 8 NTFS bootsector stored
into a file. Perhaps saving the current bootsector is something that the
syslinux installer should do, before overwriting it. Then again, 'dd'
floating all over the internet.

My offtopic question: Can Linux distributions be installed/run from NTFS
filesystem? Syslinux -> Linux + initrd -> installer -> data.

Software like RUFUS unpacks Linux iso files to USB-stick, on FAT32 so
far, and creates a proper Syslinux setup. Ubuntu's WUBI and Mint's
MINT4WIN have some options also, but that might involve GRUB rather.

Bernd