[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre9

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:52:40 PDT 2012

> > 7_ From 5.00 NEWS:
> >   ... "reducing both disk space and runtime memory consumption."
> > Interestingly, the installers are several times bigger than in 4.xx.
>
> But not having many copies of the same binary code in the core
> (ldlinux.sys + ldlinux.c32) plus all of the other COM32s will be an
> improvement.  It's just like why things move from full static binaries
> to dynamic linked binaries with shared libraries.
>
> --
>
> -Gene

Gene,

I indeed understand the logic: less repeated code.

I was coming from a different perspective. I used to copy certain
files from the Syslinux package in one floppy image, including the
installers. Now I need more space. Moreover, the com32 directory now
is bigger than before, and this is also valid for the package as a
whole. Of course, more features are available too, so size
comparisons are not exactly fair in this case.

Now, since I am NOT complaining (just stating a fact), and the
increased total size is not going to change back, then maybe it would
be useful to hear about UPX (or any other) compression, as already
mentioned in other recent mails.

In case UPX results to be applicable (with no cons), then at least
some of the files would be smaller. At least part of the size would
be gained back.

Note: I'm not necessarily requesting for UPX (or any other) to be
used in the original package. Just asking if using it on any Syslinux
file has any negative effect or any other issue to be considered.
(Someone with relevant knowledge would need to read the several notes
in the UPX package for the types of files involved.)

TIA,
Ady.