[syslinux] syslinux installation problem

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 06:00:11 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Alexei Babich <a.babich at rez.ru> wrote:
>> This e-mail was a bit difficult to read,
> I'm sorry :)
>
>> ?  Extlinux does not install to the MBR
> I probably would not understand the documentation. I'll try again. Sorry to bother you.
>
> Thank you for your reply :)

Per libinstaller/syslxopt.c: "  --device         Force use of a
specific block device (experts only)\n".  I believe this feature was
introduces for situations where the detection schemes fail to find a
device.  In your case, it should have auto-detected to /dev/loop1
which is the right device.  If it did not, this would be worth
reporting as it's a bug/interaction issue.

The installers for Linux (extlinux, syslinux, syslinux-mtools) have
never installed code to the MBR.
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Mbr#Write shows a nice and very
safe command.  If you were to write to your .img file directly, you'd
need the options specified or dd will "delete" the rest of your .img
file.

--
-Gene