[syslinux] State of memdisk-acpi

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Wed Nov 7 11:46:01 PST 2012

I tested the memdisk-acpi branch with following results:

- Bochs
The BIOS provides a RSDT. Available tables are RSDT, FACP, DSDT, FACS, APIC, SSDT.
memdisk-acpi is able to hook the SSDT.

- VMware
The BIOS provides a RSDT and XSDT. Available tables are RSDT, FACP, DSDT(*), FACS(*),
BOOT(*), APIC(*) and XSDT, FACP, DSDT(*), FACS(*), BOOT(*), APIC(*).
Tables marked with an asterisk (*) are identical; FACP tables from RSDT and XSDT are different.
memdisk-acpi is not able to hook.

acpi_bytes_needed() from acpi.c tries to find a DSDT or SSDT. It fails to find a DSDT because
RSDT doesn't point to DSDT; RSDT points to FACP which points to DSDT.

After fixing this problem memdisk-acpi is able to hook the DSDT on VMware.

Unfortunately it's unclear to me what we gain by hooking the DSDT/SSDT. How can we access the mBFT?

Sebastian