[syslinux] A Few Syslinux 5.00-pre9 Bugs

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:13:28 PST 2012

On 11/7/2012 08:34, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 00:54 -0400, Shao Miller wrote:
>> Just a few bug-reports, before I forget:
>>
>> - A Windows installer bug for 4.06 and presumably 5.00-pre9 whereby the ADV
>> contains backslashes.  Reproduced with: syslinux.exe --directory \two\dirs
>> e:
>
> Thanks, I'm aware of this one.

Great.

>> - An open() (?) bug for 4.06 and presumably 5.00-pre9 whereby the filename
>> /ubcd/custom/syslinux-5.00-pre9/com32/gplinclude/acpi/facs.h fails to open()
>> after 134 iterations in a loop where it's closed after each open()  Variant
>> was ISOLINUX.
>
> Do you have a reproducible testcase you could send me? Sounds like some
> kind of resource leak.

I am already writing a patch for this bug.  Yes, it's a leak.

>> - A PXELINUX 5.00-pre9 bug whereby linux.c32 fails to load a 70 MB file with
>> 1024 MiB RAM (in QEmu).  The same scenario with ISOLINUX is fine.  Possibly
>> worth noting is that this was iPXE (ipxe.pxe) -> PXELINUX 5.00-pre9 using
>> HTTP for the large file.  (TFTP untested.)
>
> Presumably this is the malloc bug you fixed?

Yes, 'twas.

>> - A bug for 4.06 and presumably 5.00-pre9 whereby chain.c32 can no longer
>> chain Win98 DOS with: hd0,1 msdos=io.sys  Chaining boot-sector files made by
>> SYS.COM is fine.
>
> Do you have a testcase for this?

I'll worry about this while reviewing Michal's latest chain.c32 work,
today.  If you wish to worry about it, too, and have a Windows 98 DOS
floppy and install SYSLINUX and the corresponding chain.c32 onto it,
that's how to reproduce it with the command-line I gave.

- Shao Miller