[syslinux] TFTP forking thousands of processes

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 13 14:34:25 PST 2012

On 11/13/2012 04:49 AM, Nikola Ciprich wrote:

> Which I'd undetstand that no more then 500 in.tftpd processes
> should be spawned. I guess tftp is forking on it's own, right? Is
> it possible it could block somewhere unable to send replis, but
> forking on (repeated) requests?

This comes up every so often.  The way to fix this is for in.tftpd to
keep track of its clients in a hash database so it can filter out
repeated RRQs or WRQs, but since the design of the protocol is still
such that repeated RRQs or WRQs cannot always be detected it is still
not always going to work.

Either way, it is unlikely I'm going to have any significant time to
spend on tftp-hpa any time in the near future.