[syslinux] Syslinux-6.00-pre1

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Nov 20 12:40:45 PST 2012

Op 9-11-2012 18:05, Matt Fleming schreef:
> I've just pushed out a 6.00-pre1 release. This release includes support
> for booting EFI machines. The code is currently in the alpha stage.
> Having said that, you should expect most things to work correctly,
> including things like the graphical menu.
>
> Please help test if you can, and if you find any bugs, please report
> them.

Is there any documentation available whatsoever for using Syslinux with
(U)EFI, either in the pre-release package or on wiki? I realise Linux
distro creators likely have the knowledge already.

Is there any documentation elsewhere I could use? Preferably not a
2000-page ambiguous spec.

I've got an ISOstick USB device containing 8GB microSD card. BIOS
reports the device in bootmenu as:
[1] CD-device (which is the device's goal)
[2] Flash drive
[3] UEFI Flash drive

The microSD card came pre-formatted as using a single 8GB FAT32 primary
partition inside MBR scheme. Unfortunately the Flash drive wasn't
bootable as the partition wasn't active. Fixing this required setting
active as well as installing MBR.

Adding UEFI-Syslinux means renaming a Syslinux UEFI binary to
BOOTX64.EFI and placing it in \UEFI\BOOT on my FAT32 filesystem? Or
using some installer?

Included docs only seemed to reference some hybrid GPT/MBR thing, only
slightly relevant to UEFI.

Bernd