[syslinux] Using NIC-Specific Information to Choose a Config-File

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 17:59:19 PST 2012

On 11/22/2012 13:59, Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It is #2.
>
> Anyway I got exactly what I needed [...]
>[...]
> The only reason for this is that I want pxelinux to present a different "menu" or more exactly just one different label.
> If a specific brand of broadcom is booting use this menu with undionly.kpxe, everyone else gets the regular ipxe.pxe.
>
> I want to do things like this automatically, for our users. I dont want some to use the label "install" and some other with a specific Broadcom use "install2".
>
> As before I am using NATIVE PXE-> PXE -iPXE
> And then, iPXE is only used to display a Linux installmenu written in iPXE/PHP.
> Just to replace an old comboot module (Written in C). Easier to maintain, add features ++.

With your deeper goal revealed, I think the Right Way to achieve that
deeper goal is to use the NIC's PCI VENdor and DEVice IDs to choose a
config-file.  Please read the upcoming patch e-mail and let me know if
you could benefit from it.

The idea is that you send the same PXELINUX config-file to all
computers, with your 'install' label configured to use this new PXELINUX
module:

   LABEL install
     COM32 nictype.c32
     APPEND --config

and then the computers will load a config-file whose name is VVVVDDDD,
where VVVV is the vendor ID and DDDD is the device ID.

That second-stage config-file can be one of:

   DEFAULT install
   LABEL install
     PXE ipxe.pxe

or: