[syslinux] Using NIC-Specific Information to Choose a Config-File

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:31:13 PST 2012

> The idea is that you send the same PXELINUX config-file to all
> computers, with your 'install' label configured to use this new PXELINUX
> module:
>
>    LABEL install
>      COM32 nictype.c32
>      APPEND --config
>
> and then the computers will load a config-file whose name is VVVVDDDD,
> where VVVV is the vendor ID and DDDD is the device ID.
>
> That second-stage config-file can be one of:
>
>    DEFAULT install
>    LABEL install
>      PXE ipxe.pxe
>
> or:
>
>    DEFAULT install
>    LABEL install
>      PXE undionly.kpxe
>
> - Shao Miller

Hi Shao,

May I suggest (if the following is possible)

LABEL install
COM32 nictype.c32
APPEND --other_label

instead of adding a different config file?

Then the other alternative configuration could be included in the
same config file as a new label (instead of having separated files),
or each "other_label" could point to a separated config file
(effectively having the same consequence as your original method).

I am not even sure this is possible, but if it is, I think it would
give more flexibility.

Best Regards,
Ady.