[syslinux] Using NIC-Specific Information to Choose a Config-File

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 02:50:17 PST 2012

> The only concern I have at this time is about setting the standard in stone
> for using VVVVDDDD.  There might be a better consideration for the label
> namespace; maybe something like 'pcinicVVVVDDDD'.  Actually, typing all that
> wouldn't be a picnic; very dreadful?
>
> - Shao Miller

You are currently matching both Vendor and Device ID altogether, in a
fix complete "8-characters" value.

Maybe some partial matching selections would introduced more
flexibility in comparison to using VVVVDDDD in stone.

Some brainstorming...

 LABEL install1
     COM32 nictype.c32
     APPEND --vendor --config

would read VVVV only and point to a config file with name "VVVV____"
(4 matching values, 4 underscore characters, (one period and file
extension) ). The trailing underscore characters might be considered
optional.

And

 LABEL install2
     COM32 nictype.c32
     APPEND --deviceid --config

would read DDDD only and point to a config file with name "____DDDD".

Of course instead of "--config", the "--label" option could be used.
Also the following could be valid:

 LABEL install2
     COM32 nictype.c32
     APPEND --vendor --deviceid --label --fallback <label>

I can see a potential problem, where "VVVVDDDD" matches both
patterns:
 "____DDDD" and "VVVVDDDD", but I guess the more accurate pattern
should take priority to select the respective label or the respective
config file.

But then, why the match needs to be "defined" with full vendor or
full device id? I could think of other possible matching patterns
(even outside the first 8 values, or mixing part of the first 4 and
part of the second 4 values), but since I am not a developer, I will
leave it for more knowledgeable people to evaluate its potential
necessity.

Best Regards,
Ady