[syslinux] comments about 5.00pre10

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:14:56 PST 2012

> On Sun, 2012-11-18 at 06:56 +0200, Ady wrote:
> > "syslinux.exe --directory /boot/syslinux --install a:" (empty fat12
> > formatted volume, so directory not yet created). The command errors
> > out, as it should, but it still leaves ldlinux.sys on "a:/". Do you
> > mean that the file(s) are first copied to the root of the volume and
> > then moved to the "--directory"? If that's the case, maybe it should
> > FIRST check for the existence of the destination directory (together
> > with any other condition to be met), and only _then_ install the
> > files if appropriate?
>
> Yes, the files are initially copied to the root directory, then moved to
> the installation directory. What we should really be doing is just
> creating the directory if it doesn't exist, like we do for the linux
> installer.

I haven't tested yet the same situation in any of the Linux-based
installers. Under the described situation, syslinux.com 5.00pre10
leaves both, ldlinux.c32 and ldlinux.sys, in "/"; syslinux.exe leaves
only ldlinux.sys (deletes ldlinux.c32 only) and you are saying that
the Linux-based installers are able to create the new directory.

I wouldn't had expected the SYSLINUX installers to create any
directory, but if the Linux-based installers are already creating the
destination directory, it makes sense that all the installers should
be behaving the same way if at all possible.

> The hello.c32 behaviour looks fine.

Really? I can't reproduce the exact same behavior as in 4.06. Either
nothing happens (goes back to the boot prompt without showing
anything), or it shows additional "info" after "Hello World!". Maybe
the additional info is useful for someone and it is shown on purpose?

TIA,
Ady.