[syslinux] please revert MENU CLEAR so to make it optional again

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Nov 26 10:26:09 PST 2012

On 11/26/2012 09:28 AM, Ady wrote:

> So after giving those reasons NOT to use MENU CLEAR as new automatic
> default, I should ask, is there any reason to use this behavior
> instead of maintaining the behavior used in 4.06 and older?
>
> Please, revert that commit.

The logic was that we have an effective "MENU CLEAR" default in 4.06 for
vesamenu.c32, but that isn't actually true... we have it only as long as
the user is *not* using "quiet vga=current", which is what a lot of the
distributions like to run with.

So I think you're right, we probably should revert it.

*HOWEVER*, please be aware that that will not actually bring back the
4.06 behavior of clearing the screen implicitly when vesamenu.c32 is in
use and "quiet vga=current" is not used.