[syslinux] syslinux problem... (?)

Alexander Foken alexander at foken.de
Mon Nov 26 10:21:51 PST 2012

On 26.11.2012 18:22, Δημήτρης Ανδριόπουλος wrote:
>> Not HP iLO?  How old is the BIOS?  If you boot a DOS floppy with ANSI.SYS,
>> does that work?  (I'm just curious.  If you don't have the time for such a
>> test, then forget it.)  - Shao
>>
> No. It's a new board from gigabyte.
> Bios is the latest 29/2/2012.
>
> Booting a DOS floppy with ANSI.SYS is quite difficult.
>
> My pc is an (almost) new one. I don't have a floppy drive installed
> and I don't have DOS floppies either. (Although I'm old enough and I am
> familiar with MSDOS)

Any USB floppy drive should do the trick.

http://bootdisk.com/ has some boot disk images that you could write to a
blank floppy, but technically, those images might violate Microsoft's
copyright. There is also the Freeware http://www.freedos.org/download/
that has no legal issues.

> Is there any other way to check my system for ANSI support ?

PCs generally do NOT support ANSI sequences. The DOS ANSI.SYS driver
adds support for ANSI sequences, and so do the virtual terminal drivers
of Linux, the *BSDs, and essentially any other Unix.

Alexander

--
Alexander Foken
mailto:alexander at foken.de  http://www.foken.de/alexander/