[syslinux] config.c32 fails in 5.00pre11

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Thu Nov 29 05:36:55 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 23:25 +0200, Ady wrote:
> The config.c32 module (and the CONFIG directive) is not behaving as
> expected when using syslinux.exe 5.00pre11 as installer. To
> replicate:
>

> 1_ The content of the device:
>
> /dira
> /cat.c32
> /config.c32
> /ldlinux.c32
> /ldlinux.sys
> /libcom32.c32
> /pwd.c32
> /syslinux.cfg
>
> /dira/dira.cfg
>
> 2_ Content of /syslinux.cfg:
>

> DEFAULT pwd1
> PROMPT 0
> LABEL config1
> COM32 config.c32 /dira/dira.cfg
> APPEND /dira/
> LABEL pwd1
> COM32 pwd.c32
> LABEL config11
> CONFIG /dira/dira.cfg
> APPEND /dira/
>
> 3_ Content of /dira/dira.cfg
>
> DEFAULT pwd2
> LABEL pwd2
> COM32 /pwd.c32
> LABEL config2
> COM32 /config.c32 /syslinux.cfg
> APPEND /
> LABEL config21
> CONFIG /syslinux.cfg
> APPEND /
>

> 3_ Boot and Run "config1" label.
>
> 4_ Run config2 label
>
> 5_ Press TAB.
>
> Since "config2" should have loaded syslinux.cfg, pressing [TAB]
> should bring the labels in syslinux.cfg, but it doesn't. Instead, it
> brings again the labels from dira.cfg.
>
> 6_ Run /pwd.c32
> Undef symbol FAIL: getcwd
>
> 5_ pwd.c32
> (without the "/") does nothing and returns to the prompt.
>
> 6_ config2
> Undef symbol FAIL: fprintf
>

> The above is just one of several ways I see config.c32 (and the
> CONFIG directive) failing, specially when using the second argument
> (to change the soon-to-be-current working directory), whether in
> absolute or relative notations.

I just pushed out syslinux-5.00-pre12. Please test that. Note that it
won't fix step 6 above, though it does fail much more gracefully. You
can work around it by adding,

	PATH /

to your dira.cfg file. However, we do need to fix that properly, so that
when you type the absolute path to a module, we search in that directory
for its dependencies. I'm working on a fix for that.

> In addition, if I also use a DISPLAY file in syslinux.cfg, the screen
> is cleaned up when running step #3 above, and step #5 doesn't show
> any available labels. I personally don't see this clean up as
> necessary (and it even be inconvenient in certain situations). I
> don't know why using DISPLAY would affect the above procedure, but it
> does.

I'll look at this for the next prerelease.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center