[syslinux] 5.00pre11 initial comments

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:10:39 PST 2012

> On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 15:20 +0200, Ady wrote:
>
> > 3_ The initial boot prompt is shown at an inadequate line in the
> > screen.
> >
> > For example, the first line of a DISPLAY file is not seen, because
> > the prompt uses that same line. The prompt should appear AFTER the
> > end of the DISPLAY file.
>
> OK, I'll take a look at this.
>
> > 4_ When using cat.c32 to display the content of a file, if the
> > content is just one line (and less than the screen width), then the
> > content is not being displayed.
>
> I can't reproduce this bug at all. What machine did you test this on? Is
> it a virtual machine or real hardware?
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

I'll post now a simplified example, just to make it clearer so to
trigger the cat.c32 issue only (#4 above), but you should be able to
test with it more cases too.

   *** SYSLINUX.CFG START ***
DEFAULT cat2
PROMPT 0
F2 help2.txt
LABEL cat2
COM32 cat.c32
APPEND help2.txt
   *** SYSLINUX.CFG END ***

   *** HELP2.TXT START ***
LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT
   *** HELP2.TXT END ***

Note that "help2.txt" is "less-than-one-line" only. There is no final
[ENTER] in "help2.txt" either.

In particular, I used syslinux.exe, and I just repeated the test with
5.00pre12 with the same result.

When booting, are you able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?

When manually running that "cat2" label from the boot prompt, are you
able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?

When pressing "F2", are you able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?

For these 3 questions, my answer would be "no, I can't see the text
on the screen; the new boot prompt covers the resulting displayed
line each time anew".

So I have at least 3 different situations here that are triggering an
unexpected (or at least unwanted) behavior.

Evidently if you want to know if the problem is at the first or at
the last line, simply add more lines to "help2.txt" and repeat the
tests. (Note that the problem I reported about DISPLAY files is
different than this case.)

Hopefully you can reproduce them now.

TIA,
Ady.