[syslinux] Illegal Opcode,the 2.

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:42:54 PST 2012

In the http://reboot.pro Syslinux forum, On 11/30/2012 12:17,
artreader at gmx.net wrote:
> @Wonko the Sane: the MBR is correct and it is the syslinux one. With non HP threre is no problem.
> @Shao: Syslinux is installed with linux sysinstall sucessfully and it is the _boot_ with syslinux, which makes a problem

Thank you for clarifying whether it was the install or the boot.

Perhaps we can determine if it is the MBR or if it's Syslinux that's
causing the problem.  If you leave the Syslinux MBR intact but use some
other boot code on the partition's boot sector (such as DOS or Windows),
does the red screen still occur?  If it does, then the Syslinux MBR
could be the problem.  If it doesn't, then it could be Syslinux that's
causing the problem.

If you cannot perform this test because you do not have DOS or Windows
involved, please let us know.  It's possible that someone can come up
with a diagnostic partition boot sector for you, if there isn't one already.

As far as understanding the red screen's output, I think we'd really
need an _exact_ version access to the corresponding files in the build
tree.  If you are using one of the downloads, then please specify
exactly which one (the download link).

However, if you are certain that the red screen has the _exact_ same
output regardless of 4.06 or 5.00, then perhaps we'll find that the MBR
is the problem.  Or not.

- Shao Miller