[syslinux] Illegal Opcode,the 2.

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:01:52 PST 2012

On 11/30/2012 13:38, artreader at gmx.net wrote:
> To make sure there is no "foreing" code in partition table and MBR,
> MBR was nulled with mbr-sys and partition table produced new with fdisk.

Meaning the Syslinux MBR code is destroyed, right?

> Cause it is a machine with HP Raid, the old-fashioned cciss driver aund the new one hpsa were tested. The FAT Partition created with parted and than syslinux install.

But did your "syslinux install" command re-install the Syslinux MBR code
again, or not?  What was your command, please?

> So, from the logical part, it should be syslinux, that makes the problem.

What I was asking about was whether or not we could determine which of
the following items might be responsible:

1. The Syslinux convenience MBR code that can be installed with the
Syslinux installer

2. The Syslinux volume boot record code that can be installed with the
Syslinux installer

> For the 4.06 release a tarball syslinux-4.06.tar.bz2 from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/ was downloaded.

Thank you for this information. -^  This specifies the binary code that
was used.

> Before I tried 4.03, 3.86 etc from the same source.
> For 5.00 pre 12 a snapshot from http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git was obtained.

Because the same source code can build very different binary code on
different systems, specifying the source code is not very useful for
troubleshooting a dump that is binary-specific; the binary code is needed.

Could you possibly clarify about your MBR test?  It might be nice to
avoid digging into the the red screen dump by getting the simple stuff
out of the way, first.

- Shao Miller