[syslinux] 5.00pre12 cat.c32 display

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:39:04 PST 2012

> > On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 16:10 +0200, Ady wrote:
> > > When booting, are you able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > When manually running that "cat2" label from the boot prompt, are you
> > > able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > When pressing "F2", are you able to see "LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXT"?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Hopefully you can reproduce them now.
> >
> > Nope. What machine are you using to test?
> >

> VBox 4.1.22 (Windows host), booting with FAT12 1440KB floppy image,
> ldlinux.sys/.c32 installed with syslinux.exe (pre11 and pre12).
>
> Also tested in VBox 4.1.22 booting with 1GB VHD fixed image in PATA
> primary master, ext3, ldlinux.sys/.c32 installed with EXTLINUX
> 5.00-pre12 and MBR from 5.00-pre12.
>
> Using the same type of test, but with 4.06, I get:
>
> LINE 1 OF HELP2.TXTboot:
>
> So the only difference is that in 4.06, the "boot:" prompt is
> displayed after the end of the content, while in 5.00-pre12 the
> "boot:" prompt is displayed always at the beginning of the same line,
> covering the previously displayed text on that line.

I tested again, under VBox 4.2.4 and QemuManager 7.0 (qemu 0.11.1 and
qemu 1.1.2). In all cases the behavior is the same.

Is there anything I can do to correct this?
Any change to the cfg file?
Any suggestion (changing some setting in VBox or in qemu)?
Am I the only one seeing this behavior? Anyone else testing 5.00?

I have seen other (unrelated) problems in 5.00-pre12, but I'm unsure
if the reports would be relevant if no VM I use can replicate other
(real) systems accurately enough.

Any advice?

TIA,
Ady.