[syslinux] any plans for UTF8 in vesamenu.c32?

Uwe Galle UweGalle at gmx.de
Mon Oct 1 22:11:52 PDT 2012

OK. UTF8 is not available in Syslinux. But I also miss some hints in the
docs what psf fonts syslinux can load. It seems there were never such font
files in the syslinux tree of kernel.org. I downloaded the last version of
each main version (1.74, 2.13, 3.86 and 4.05) and searched for *.psf files
but didn't find any.

I should note that I am a Windows user. I don't have a full-featured Linux
installation where I can find these font files anywhere. I downloaded the
first Installation DVD of Debian and the Ubuntu install CD but didn't find
psf files there. Also in the internet it is far away from obvious where to
find appropriate psf fonts for Syslinux.

For me it is a big advantage that I can use Pxelinux simply by copying
pxelinux.0 and vesamenu.c32 from the Syslinux tree of kernel.org. (That's
why I don't use Grub 2.) It would be nice if it is possible to do the same
with the psf files without compiling Syslinux or even the whole kernel.

Please add a note in the docs (under FONT filename in this link:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX) where users without a Linux
installation can find psf files with language specific characters. I need a
psf console font with special german characters (Umlaute). Especially I need
it for Pxelinux. There is hopefully no difference between Syslinux and
Pxelinux in this regard.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Uwe Galle