[syslinux] any plans for UTF8 in vesamenu.c32?

Uwe Galle UweGalle at gmx.de
Tue Oct 2 00:11:46 PDT 2012

Keyboard doesn't matter for me. I simply need some menus with german
characters that I can use with arrow and Enter keys.

The difference between "Times New Roman" and "Arial" doesn't matter for me
too (but it would be nice if there is some choice). I simply want to see
german characters in my menus. Because psf files define each character as
bitmap line by line (each line with 8 pixels) with at least 256 characters,
they must also define the special characters at the positions for the german
Umlaute. According to IBM Codepage 850 the german Umlaute are coded on
positions 0x81, 0x84 and 0x94 (small letters), according to ISO 8859-1 on
positions 0xFC, 0xE4 and 0xF6. I assume there will be a psf file at least
for ISO 8859-1.

My goal is to find a psf file for a certain coding, e.g. for ISO 8859-1.
Then I will code my configuration file in the pxelinux.cfg folder e.g.
according to ISO 8859-1 and then I will hopefully see my german Umlaute in
the menu (with vesamenu.c32). If a psf file uses another code, I will code
my configuration file in that other code.

Because I didn't find any information how multilingual characters work in
Syslinux, I assume that it does in the described way. It is the easiest
possible way.