[syslinux] any plans for UTF8 in vesamenu.c32? - SOLVED

Uwe Galle UweGalle at gmx.de
Tue Oct 2 22:35:21 PDT 2012

Thank you all very much for your help. I want to mention that I followed
inter alia the link to the MosNis page on the Syslinux page
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/UseCases ("MosNis - the
Multioperatingsystem Networkinstallationserver, a project usefull for
Systembuilders ..."). This is a project in german language and makes on one
page the statement that Umlaute are not possible for technical reasons ("Aus
technischen Gründen ist eine direkte Adressierung der Tasten F11 und F12
leider nicht möglich genausowenig wie Umlaute",
http://www.mosnis.de/de/content/3-integration-der-betriebsysteme-und-wartungstools-den-mosnis).
The same statement is on the mirror page
http://www.linupedia.org/opensuse/MosNis-Wikibook/Installation/Betriebssystemintegration/Grundstruktur.

Furthermore I saw that the author avoided the german Umlaute in the example
configuration files in the MENU LABEL statements although the text in these
statements is obviously in german (the first 2 MENU LABEL statements in
2.2 - "VESA-Menusystem Auswahl" instead of "VESA-Menüsystem Auswahl" and
"SIMPLE-Menusystem Auswahl" instead of "SIMPLE-Menüsystem Auswahl" - and the
first MENU LABEL statement in 3.3).

I also found a question about Umlaute in Syslinux in
http://forum.effizienzgurus.de/f32/syslinux-t8712.html and in
http://board.gulli.com/thread/1651171-syslinux-und-umlaute. The question in
the first thread was not answered and the solution offered in the second
thread was to append "lang=de". But a boot loader doesn't have a possibility
at all to add such an option anywhere because no configuration file can
describe how an initial boot file is loaded (exept perhaps by the DHCP
server).

Finally there is no hint in the Syslinux Wiki how language specific
characters work and that Syslinux uses the BIOS standard code page 437.

All together made me think that UTF8 is necessary in order to display german
Umlaute in Syslinux. Now I see that the simplest solution is to use PSPad
and save the configuration file with OEM selected in the Format menu.

So I don't need UTF8 in Syslinux. But the documentation can be improved a
litte bit (e.g. under FONT filename or under KBDMAP keymap in this link:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX).

Best regards,
Uwe Galle