[syslinux] Support for 4kb disks

Frediano Ziglio frediano.ziglio at citrix.com
Wed Oct 3 08:24:33 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 08:17 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 07:16 AM, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 08:22 +0100, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> >>
> >> Not that easy to debug, do you have some advice? Currently I enabled
> >> debugging of BIOS (SeaBIOS) and I look for calls. Calling printf in
> >> core/fs/diskio.c seems to not work.
> >>

> > I fixed this problem, was a problem with my BIOS emulator, nothing to do
> > with syslinux. Also tested with a real machine and confirmed it works
> > correctly
> >

> What real machine do you have which can boot from 4K logical sectors?
>
> 	-hpa

I don't own it by myself but people from Dell have one in their lab and
tested our built syslinux (based on 4.06 git version and patches I
sent).

Doing some test normal int13 still use 512 byte sector size while int13x
detect that disk have physically 4kb sector and use this size. The bad
thing is that using int13 sector 1 (0/0/2 C/H/S) start after 512 bytes
while int13x sector 1 start after 4096 bytes).

Frediano