[syslinux] Error 0400

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 04:58:48 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, Ady,
>
> Du meintest am 06.10.12:
>
>>>   ISOLINUX 4.04 ...
>>>   EDD: Error 0400 reading sector ...
>>>   No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>>>
>>> What goes wrong?
>
>> What's your cfg file? Does it have something like "UI vesamenu.c32"?
>> Could you copy here the relevant parts or post a link to it (to the
>> cfg file only)? What's the path to the cfg file in your ISO image?
>
> ---------------- isolinux.cfg ---------------------------
> prompt          0
> timeout         200
> ontimeout       chain.c32 hd0 0
> onerror         local
> default         Arktur
>
> KBDMAP german.kbd
>
> default vesamenu.c32

This second use of DEFAULT would be better as UI.  (UI vesamenu.c32)

> MENU BACKGROUND Arktur.jpg
> # braucht "MENU BACKGROUND"-Bild
>
> include colors.txt
>

> MENU TITLE c't/ODS-Schulserver - Arktur -
> MENU TABMSG Navigation: Cursor; ok: <enter>, Optionen aendern: <TAB>; Abbruch: <ESC>
> MENU AUTOBOOT Start von der HD in # Sekunden
>
> label Arktur
>   MENU LABEL ^Arktur-Installation und -Reparatur
>   kernel bzImage
>   append initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=24576 showopts rw root=/dev/ram0 kbd=de edd=off
>
> label memtest
>     MENU LABEL ^Speichertest
>     kernel memtest
>
> #
> --------------- end isolinux.cfg ---------------
>
> I've copied the whole isolinux directory to "syslinux" and renamed
> "isolinux.bin" and "isolinux.cfg" to "syslinux.bin" and "syslinux.cfg" -
> didb't help.
>
> As mentioned: running the above *.cfg with a real DVD works fine.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

I figured it wouldn't be the config.  You have a DEFAULT directive
early enough.  ISOLINUX is able to find the blocks for itself but
couldn't find the config.  Any chance you could do 'fdisk -lu' on the
UFD, specify the exact ISOHYBRID command used to make the ISO, and
specify how you applied the ISO to the UFD?

--
-Gene