[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre8

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:56:06 PDT 2012

From:           	Matt Fleming <matt at console-pimps.org>
To:             	syslinux at zytor.com
Date sent:      	Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:04:39 +0100
Subject:        	[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre8

> Another prerelease for the 5.00 (elflink) branch should be making its
> way to the mirrors now. The shortlog for -pre7 to -pre8 is listed below.
>
> Just like the 4.06 branch I was really hoping to drop a final release
> this week. Once 4.06 is out I'll merge that into 5.00.
>
> If you can, please test it out and let know any of any bugs you find.
> Because so much of the core infrastructure is rewritten in 5.00 be on
> the look out for inconsistencies between it and the 4.X releases.
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

FWIW,

Since there are known bugs and issues that are going to be addressed
only after 4.06, why the rush?

My guess is that potential issues might be reported after 4.06, by
users that have been patiently waiting since 4.05. If you release
more than one branch almost simultaneously (specially a round version
number), then the first reply to many emails and posts will probably
be:
 "which version?"
 "have you updated all the com32 modules too?"
and things of that sort.

As a user, I wish to see some old bugs finally resolved, and
potential new bugs (introduced by the soon-to-be-released 4.06)
ironed out (no to mention some improvements). I fear releasing 5.00
so close to 4.06 could make it harder.

Just a thought.

TIA,
Ady.