[syslinux] Chainload Bootloader

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Oct 10 10:35:14 PDT 2012

Op 10-10-2012 17:12, Eddy schreef:
> I need to boot the disk 2 with grub, from the tiny kernel of the disk 1.
> So i use the bios interruption 0x19 to load the second bootloader, but this
> solution doesn't works.

To my knowledge, Syslinux hasn't been designed with switching
bootdevices in mind. What you could do perhaps is adding GRUB to your
disk#1 and chaining from Syslinux to GRUB, then from GRUB to disk#2.

There was a patch-set listed recently on the mailinglist implementing
some device-flexibility, but that's about all.

> If i use a  my own bootloader, the solution with the int 0x19 works fine.
> May-be syslinux modifies something in the processor or the memory that
> prevents to use the int 0x19 ?

Perhaps writing a bootsector file (*.bss) that issues int 0x19 would do
the trick? A lot smaller than adding Grub.

By the way, all this assumes your disk#2 is bootable from BIOS/(U)EFI,
instead of a disk connected to a non-bootable (add-on?)
controller/interface (like FireWire usually, those lazy BIOS-writers!)

Bernd