[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre8

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:36:35 PDT 2012

Date sent:      	Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:54:54 -0400
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre8

> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:21 +0200, Ady wrote:
>
> > The most important feature (in user's eyes) is the NTFS support. My
> > previous impression was that the fragmented MFT case was being
> > considered as an "edge case". IMHO, it is a frequent case.
>

> So, it's entirely appropriate to release 4.06 with known problems, if
> those are problems that already existed in previous releases and are not
> trivially fixed.  It's also appropriate to refuse to incorporate complex
> changes close to the targeted release date, even when the change is
> desirable.  And, if 4.x is supposed to be a "stable" release series,
> it's also entirely appropriate to say "that feature can go into 5.00,
> but it's too major to go into 4.x ever".
>

> -- Jeff

Jeff,

Just to be clear, my comment about users expecting NTFS was only
related to 4.06, and in the context of other recent email threads.

Regarding a broader context, I also agree that (U)EFI support is much
more significant.

Regarding old bugs, I am not referring to, for example, display.c32
(which doesn't work since 4.00). But during 2012 some bug reports
were not acknowledge, or there was no action to correct them (as I
said before, I'm not complaining, just stating a simple fact). I'm
more than glad that there is "action" now. I just thought postponing
SOME of those "old" bug reports again would be an error in this
specific opportunity. Fortunately, it seems they are being taken care
now.

About testing (U)EFI support in Syslinux, I still think that
prereleases are more appropriate. That's their goal.

Anyway, I just expressed my concern about releasing more than one
version almost simultaneously. Saying something after the fact
wouldn't had help anyone :). Whatever Matt decides, I hope for
development to pick up and for users to have a "stable" (in the same
sense as you described it) usage.

Best Regards,
Ady.