[syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not working

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:36:21 PDT 2012

> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 23:09 +0200, Tomas M wrote:
> > > Where xxx is a *different* menu. I count 4. Are you able to reproduce
> > > the problem with a simpler config file?
> >
> > yes, I sent simplified config to this list few weeks ago.
> > It can be seen in the mailing list archive:
> > http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-September/018012.html
> >
> > Thank you for the time you spend on this
>
> With that config I can reproduce the original bug you reported, where
> the MENU DEFAULT directive is ignored, but I can't reproduce the random
> default jumping around bug that happens with the config file you posted
> yesterday (9th Oct). It's the random default bug that I think needs a
> simpler config file. Is there any way that you can make the syslinux.cfg
> you posted yesterday smaller?
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

Hi Matt,

I can only test prereleases (not merge commits), but here is a very
simplified menu (with unique labels this time).

   ***   START SYSLINUX.CFG   ***

UI menu.c32

MENU BEGIN 00_1
   LABEL 00_1_1
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [ ] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 10_1

   LABEL 00_1_2
   MENU LABEL [ ] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 01_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 00_2
   LABEL 00_2_1
   MENU LABEL [ ] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 10_1

   LABEL 00_2_2
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [ ] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 01_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 10_1
   LABEL 10_1_1
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [X] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 00_1

   LABEL 10_1_2
   MENU LABEL [ ] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 11_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 10_2
   LABEL 10_2_1
   MENU LABEL [X] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 00_1

   LABEL 10_2_2
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [ ] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 11_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 01_1
   LABEL 01_1_1
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [ ] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 11_1

   LABEL 01_1_2
   MENU LABEL [X] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 00_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 01_2
   LABEL 01_2_1
   MENU LABEL [ ] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 11_1

   LABEL 01_2_2
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [X] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 00_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 11_1
   LABEL 11_1_1
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [X] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 01_1

   LABEL 11_1_2
   MENU LABEL [X] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 10_2
MENU END

MENU BEGIN 11_2
   LABEL 00_2_1
   MENU LABEL [X] Persistent changes
   MENU GOTO 01_1

   LABEL 11_2_2
   MENU DEFAULT
   MENU LABEL [X] Graphical desktop
   MENU GOTO 10_2
MENU END

   ***   END SYSLINUX.CFG   ***

With the (pre)releases already out, I am able to reproduce both
issues.

To replicate the seemingly random default selection (using the above
very simplified menu):

1_ Choose the first submenu.
2_ Select the second entry and press [ENTER].
3_ Keep selecting (when needed) and pressing [ENTER] on the second
entry each time.

By the third (or so) selection (arrow key and then [ENTER]) of the
same second entry, the default selection turns "automatically" to be
that second entry (as if the "menu default" would finally start
"pitching in"). At that point, the arrow key is not needed and by
pressing [ENTER] the same second entry is selected by default.

Strangely, after the second entry is "automatically" selected by
default, if I press [ESC] to return to the main parent menu, and
again I select the same first submenu I selected before, the same
second entry is still the default entry (which shouldn't be).

Since the number of submenu _levels_ are limited (AFAICR), I wonder
if some kind of limit is also affecting "MENU GOTO", which makes it
act this way.

HTH,
Ady.