[syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not working

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Fri Oct 12 05:18:53 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 02:46 +0200, Ady wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> I tested 4.06pre13 MENU DEFAULT behavior in relation to MENU GOTO and
> multiple levels of submenus navigation. I used menu.c32 (not
> vesamenu.c32), ldlinux.sys (both with no modification at all) and
> with different cfg files, including the one from Tomas.

Thank you again for testing.

> Regarding submenus, I used MENU BEGIN + MENU END pairs, with and
> without tagnames. I have NOT tested "[MENU] INCLUDE tagname" YET. I
> haven't tested "MENU EXIT tagname" either.
>
> Observations:
> 1_ The navigation through multiple levels of parent-child (sub)menus
> is consistent with previous versions.
> 2_ Using Tomas' cfg file (and some variations too), MENU GOTO seems
> to "almost" work correctly and as expected.
> 3_ I don't know if this is important or not but... I am able to
> "break" the MENU GOTO + MENU DEFAULT, but the specific pattern is not
> so clear yet. Here is how I "broke" it.
>
> I boot ldlinux.sys from 4.06pre13. I use the submenus from Tomas, but
> I use menu.c32, not vesamenu.c32 (I deleted all that is not relevant
> to the test with menu.c32, and I haven't even tested actually booting
> any OS kernel from the menu).
>
> Now, while I am over some entry in the middle (one before the last
> one, or two before the last one), I press the space bar and the
> selection goes down the list of entries. Then I may press [ENTER], or
> the arrow keys, or the space bar again ("playing" with the menu and
> watching the results). At some point, while pressing [ENTER] again
> and again and again, the selection "jumps" from one entry line to
> another (which shouldn't happen in this particular cfg file). The
> jump is not seen after _every_ [ENTER], but it repeats itself in some
> way or another (keep "playing" and it shows up again).
>
> I can replicate this strange behavior, but I am still not clear about
> the exact pattern and steps.
>
> This is probably an edge case, but maybe someone else noticed it too.

Can you please send me the config file that reproduces this bug?

> BTW, I don't know which exactly is the expected result from pressing
> the space bar in menu.c32 from 4.06pre13, so maybe this is just a
> "stup1d-proof" test.

Space bar works the same was as PGDN, Ctrl + F, > or the right arrow
key, i.e. it moves to an entry on the next page, or if there is no next
page, moves to the last entry on the current page.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center