[syslinux] Syslinux-4.06-pre14

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:08:55 PDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 20:00, Ady wrote:
> Date sent:      	Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:07:34 -0400
> Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Syslinux-4.06-pre14
>
>> On 10/15/2012 16:01, Ady wrote:
>>> Now, I wonder what about Paulo and Shao's work on fragmented MFT.
>>>
>>> There are "./core/fs/ntfs/", "./win32/ntfstest/" and
>>> "./win64/ntfstest/" directories. I would guess that the "test" part
>>> of the directory names is more appropriate for now?
>> Those items are not new.
>>
>> 'ntfstest' is just a program which exercises some of the same logic as
>> the Windows installer.  Due to its small size and usefulness for
>> examining NTFS file fragments, it's in Syslinux. That program is
>> unrelated to the Syslinux NTFS logic in core/fs/ntfs/
>>
>> A couple of areas for improvement in core/fs/ntfs/ have been identified,
>> and we could see those improvements for the next Syslinux release.
> Those are all new in relation to 4.05, and since Matt's intention is
> to release 4.06 soon, I just thought the directory names might
> matter.

Sorry, I meant that they are not new relative to the recent "fragmented
MFT" efforts; they are part of the initial NTFS support offering. :)

> If those "ntfstest" directories are not really part of the
> Windows-based installers, then MAYBE they should be elsewhere (with
> some respective Makefile or whichever correction if necessary, in
> case they are moved)? I mean, there are directories such as "diag",
> "dosutil", "utils"...
>
> I don't really know where they "should" be, or where they are
> comfortable for their use for tests. I just thought of mentioning it
> before the final.

The program can be compiled for Win32 or Win64, so that is why they are
in there.  They have their own Makefiles and they are not built by
default when building all of Syslinux.  However, because they are handy
for examining NTFS file fragments, they are there in case they need to
be compiled by a developer.  I don't think they'll be moved.

- Shao Miller