[syslinux] pxelinux 512MB limitation ?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:55:41 PDT 2012

> But when the vhd image getting bigger than 512MB (I added some more
> files into the image), the booting proccess fail at the loading the
> image step. Then I try boot the image on usb disk (without using
> gpxelinux.0 and http) -> it works !
>
> Brs.

Adding files to a disk image doesn't mean the disk image is bigger
than before.

How exactly you added files to the image?

Is the vhd image fixed or dynamic?

Have you defragged the vhd image?

Which filesystem are you using in the vhd image?

Have you compressed the vhd image (gz or anything else)?

Have you defragged the compressed image?

Which image is bigger than 512MB? Are you referring to the original
vhd image or to the resulting image after compression?

Which version of Syslinux you used?

Are you using a recent version of grub4dos?

Instead of adding files to the image (with whichever method you used
until now), have you tried building a new vhd image bigger than
before and starting the procedures all over again?

I am probably not capable of helping you directly with gpxe (or
ipxe), but probably those questions need answers anyway.

  -- Ady.