[syslinux] Syslinux-4.06-pre14

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Mon Oct 22 05:22:43 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 13:55 +0200, Ady wrote:
> Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Syslinux-4.06-pre14
> Date sent:      	Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:35:59 +0100
>

> > If you have any suggestions for clarification, please share. I am also
> > unsure how the text could be improved.
> >

> Well, for those that I don't understand, it's a little bit more
> difficult for me to suggest how to clarify them :). For example, what
> is "tree support" on com32? What is the user supposed to be able to
> override now in EXTLINUX? If the user doesn't understand it, he won't
> be able to use such new feature either.

The new feature is "device tree support". Device trees are data
structures for describing the layout of devices on a platform. The
second item you mention allows the user to override device detection in
EXTLINUX.

> > > Additionally, during the 4.06 development, there was an improvement
> > > for SYSLINUX about handling some relative paths (which were already
> > > handled correctly by ISOLINUX). I don't know if it is worth
> > > mentioning in the changelog (or maybe it is already part of the
> > > jargon in there I don't understand?).
> >
> > Do you know what specifically was changed? I'm afraid I don't recall.
> >

> It started after 4.06-pre7, up to pre11 included. Some threads
> related to it STARTED at:
>    http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-June/017690.html
>    http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-June/017705.html
>
> Basically, SYSLINUX was supporting limited relative paths with one
> "../" (and maybe "../../"; I don't remember), and now paths such as
> "../../other_dir/" are also supported. ISOLINUX was already
> supporting such relative paths. Additionally, when pwd.c32 is used,
> instead of displaying the path in a relative notation (when relative
> paths were used in the cfg file), it always displays the absolute
> resulting path.
>
> As I said, I don't know if it is worth mentioning in the changelog,
> or maybe some of those "cryptic" (for me) items already mentioned are
> related to this improvement.

This isn't currently mentioned, but it seems worthwhile to add it to
NEWS. Thanks.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center