[syslinux] pxelinux 512MB limitation ?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:08:23 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2012 03:10 AM, Ady wrote:
>>

>>> Good day, guy.
>>>
>>> How did you fare with using MEMDISK?
>>>
>>> Also: There probably isn't any need for GRUB4DOS to be involved in this
>>> scenario, as long as the disk image is bootable.
>>>
>>> From gpxelinux.0 (which is gPXE -> PXELINUX), you could run meminfo.c32
>>> and
>>> tell us about how memory is organized on the system.
>>>
>>> - Shao Miller
>>>

>> I think that the first step would be for someone to actually answer
>> his question: is there any limitation in gpxelinux.0 related to the
>> size (512MB) of the img? If there isn't, then some troubleshooting is
>> in place.
>>

> There shouldn't be, but it depends on how much RAM you have.
>
> -hpa

Or a memory "hole" (reserved RAM that can't be freed by Syslinux/MEMDISK)
created most likely by your underlying PXE OROM.  Could you post the e820
map from meminfo.c32?  A screenshot from a VM is normally cleanest but this
is likely hardware-specific.  I find PNGs to be perfectly clear and
reasonably sized for a 720x480 image.

--
-Gene

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text,