[syslinux] memdisk parameters in windows pe.

Zerø Sum zero.sum at gmx.us
Fri Oct 26 15:51:11 PDT 2012

thank you very much for your support sha0, i find that's an excellent
approach; i didn't know memdisk could handle multiple arguments in
initrd. i'll try this right away.
i also read the former request for an mdiskchk for windows, that's how
i found out about the mailing list. what happened to the windows
mdiskchk in the end?

by the way, i also read about the recent linux.c32 patch and its new
support for wimboot; i searched around a little, and it seems that it
would save me a lot of ram usage, as i'd only need to load boot.wim
and not the whole iso, plus ram space is used more rationally. however
i did not find much reference for using wimboot with syslinux (nor do
i have an exact knowledge about wimboot ot wim images in general). is
there some reference somewhere i could learn from?

again, thanks a lot for your help. : )
Alex

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Shao Miller <sha0.miller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 13:04, Zerø Sum wrote:
>>
>> ...from all the documentation i'm pretty sure it's not possible in
>> memdisk, but i read somewhere of a memdisk.c32 in development by shao miller
>> which would allow something similar, as far as i understood (which could
>> actually be quite little). have there been news about the project, was it
>> scrapped or is it still ongoing?
>

> Good day, Alex.
>
> The experimental mdisk.c32 seemed to work, but it wasn't the Right Way to do
> the job. When H. Peter and I last discussed it, I believe such a feature was
> going to have to wait until either Syslinux 5 or 6 (I can't remember exactly
> which).
>
> But what you could do right now is to pass MEMDISK multiple _uncompressed_
> initrds to compose your virtual HDD, as in:
>
> LABEL foo
> KERNEL memdisk
> INITRD mbr.bin,62_empty.bin,standard.ntfs,specific.fat
>
> Where mbr.bin would be a bootable MBR with two partitions in its partition
> table, 62_empty.bin could be 62 * 512 bytes of zeroes, standard.ntfs would
> be an NTFS partition image with Windows installed on it, and specific.fat
> could be a small FAT partition with client-specific, or even potentially
> dynamically-generated files in it that the Windows installation could
> process via startup script.
>
> Of course, mbr.bin, 62_empty.bin and standard.ntfs could all be one file,
> since they'd likely be unchanging.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Some time ago now, there was another request on this mailing-list for an
> mdiskchk for Windows. I thought it'd take about a day to produce and I
> started coding it, but didn't complete it, unfortunately.
>
> - Shao Miller

Σ0