[syslinux] working directory in 5.00pre8 and 4.06

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Wed Oct 31 06:32:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 17:04 +0200, Ady wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The following is a comparison of 4.06 and 5.00pre8 behaving
> differently.
>
> I made a floppy image with Syslinux 4.06. I installed ldlinux.sys
> with:
>  syslinux --directory /boot/syslinux/ --install /dev/fd0
>
> and I added pwd.c32 to the same directory, but I intentionally did
> not build a syslinux.cfg file.
>
> While testing the floppy image in a VM, it correctly boots to the
> Syslinux boot prompt, adding:
>
> ERROR: No configuration file found
> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>
> Since I intentionally did not include syslinux.cfg, I'm not going to
> ask why this message shows up :).
>
> But, since a cfg file CAN be skipped (not included) and the boot
> prompt should still be usable (and indeed it is), I would like to
> request changing the "ERROR:" part of the message.
>
> SUGGESTION#1: Either skip it - leaving "No configuration file found"
> alone - or use a different word, like "INFO:" for example. The
> "ERROR:" word gives the WRONG impression that Syslinux "MUST" find a
> cfg file to work correctly.
>
> Additionally, the second line - "No DEFAULT or UI configuration
> directive found!" - although true, it is not really relevant, since
> the cfg file was not even found.
>
> SUGGESTION#2: Eliminate the second message line when the cfg file is
> not even found.
>
> OTOH, 5.00pre8 doesn't display any info other than the boot prompt.
>
> SUGGESTION#3: For 5.00, use the same principle as suggestion#1.

The general approach that I've taken with the 5.00 release is that users
shouldn't notice a change in behaviour between 4.0x and 5.00. However, I
think we can apply some common sense here. Downgrading the error to a
"WARNING" seems fine. I do think it needs to be more shocking than
"INFO", however.

Skipping the bit about the missing directives if we have no config file
also makes sense.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center