[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre9

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:11:51 PDT 2012

Date sent:      	Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:06:33 +0000
Subject:        	[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre9

> I've just pushed out another prerelease for the 5.00 branch. The idea
> behind this -pre was to merge in the final 4.06 release.
>
> I'm aiming for a final 5.00 release next week, but as we saw with the
> 4.06 branch, anything can happen and these deadlines can get pushed
> backwards. Please, test if you can.

Hi Matt,

Some 5.00pre9 comments:

1_ The "--directory" option is not working in the Win32-based
SYSLINUX installer. The same installer works if "--directory" is not
used. The nomtools Linux-based installer works correctly with
"--directory".

2_ When running an installer with "--version", could the result
include the "complete" version ("5.00-pre9"), instead of "5.00" only?

3_ Special combination of keys in the boot prompt are not working.
For example, "ctrl+v" used to give the version in the boot prompt in
4.06.

4_ In the boot prompt, when pressing arrow keys some characters
(letters) are inserted. This was not happening in 5.00pre8.

5_ When running the (Windows-based) installer with "--directory" and
the directory path doesn't exist in the destination device, there is
no (error) message. I don't expect the path to be created, but since
ldlinux was not installed (in any path), it shouldn't just end as if
the installation was successful. Either some general "error" message
or some "no such directory [exists]" or alike could be helpful.

6_ From 5.00 NEWS:
  ... "Split non-core functionality into ldlinux.c32"...
I wonder; will the INITIAL CWD definition still be the location of
ldlinux.sys (as example for SYSLINUX)? Is there a possible case where
ldlinux.sys will be located in one directory, and ldlinux.c32 in
another? Or they must always be located in the same directory?

7_ From 5.00 NEWS:
  ... "reducing both disk space and runtime memory consumption."
Interestingly, the installers are several times bigger than in 4.xx.

TIA,
Ady.