[syslinux] chainbooting pxe servers stalls

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:21:21 PDT 2012

On Sep 10, 2012 11:09 AM, "Sean Mitchuson" <smitchuson at murraystate.edu>
wrote:

> I've started using pxe servers for OS deployment at my organization and
I'm
> trying to get chainbooting working but I seem to run into an issue that
> causes a hard lock up of a system.
>
> MENU BEGIN ^1. Boot Satellite PXE
>         LABEL Satellite PXE
>         KERNEL pxechain.com
>         APPEND (Server IP Address)::pxelinux.0
> Is part of my config file for my main pxe server to boot over to the
> satellite based pxe server but when I choose this option I see
> TFTP boot: (server ip address) pxelinux.0 and it locks up the machine and
> have to hard reset it.
>
> So I'm not sure where you start troubleshooting.

For each server, what version of PXELINUX and where did you obtain the
binaries?  Did you build them yourself?

Could
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#PXE_Calls_in_4.00-4.03apply
(for the source PXELINUX)?

If not, could you describe the machines you've tested with?  Make, model,
BIOS revision/version?  If not using an onboard NIC with the BIOS's PXE
OROM, please describe the NIC and the PXE stack you're using.