[syslinux] Problem with NTFS support

Paulo Alcantara pcacjr at zytor.com
Mon Sep 10 15:17:58 PDT 2012

Hi Bernardo,

From: Bernardo Pastorelli <berpast at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:45:35 +0200

> While testing the syslinux-4.06-pre11, I encountered a failure booting Windows
> Vista using syslinux. Looking at the details of the failing machine, I
> discovered that the main difference between this machine and the working ones
> is taht, on this machine, the MFT is fragmented in multiple fragments, and
> ldlinux.sys is indexed in one of the extended fragments. Does the syslinux
> NTFS implementation support a fragmented MFT? Regards,Bernardo

This is really interesting. I think I didn't take that into account when I was
implementing the NTFS driver, but I'll take a look at it when I get home later.

Besides, it would be really appreciable if you could give some dumping
information of this LDLINUX.SYS file (basically the dump of its MFT record).

BTW, thanks for the report.

		Paulo