[syslinux] chainbooting pxe servers stalls

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 11 11:29:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 12:57 -0500, Sean Mitchuson wrote:
> Another update to my situation.  I'm currently using pxechain.com from
> version 4.04 and tried one of my other pxe servers and got these two lines
> pxechain: PXENV_RESTART_TFTP [0001]
> pxechain: PXENV_UDP_OPEN [0001]

What version of PXELINUX are you using?
Also, Gene's earlier question still applies:

> If not, could you describe the machines you've tested with?  Make, model,
> BIOS revision/version?  If not using an onboard NIC with the BIOS's PXE
> OROM, please describe the NIC and the PXE stack you're using.

The messages you got mean the PXE stack failed to download and transfer
control to the next NBP, which is what PXENB_RESTART_TFTP should have
done.  Unfortunately, the status code 0x0001 means "general failure";
your BIOS isn't providing any more detailed information.

This could mean the TFTP server is configured improperly, or doesn't
have the file you asked for, or some firewall is interfering, or any
number of other things.  It could also mean a problem with your BIOS.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>