[syslinux] Syslinux 4.04 gpxelinux.0 http performance problem with VMware VMs

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sun Sep 16 06:30:50 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 05:15:57AM -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2012 1:01 PM, "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:

> with the included gpxelinux.0.

> retransmits?

> download speeds over http.

> > > Hello again,
> > >
> > > When using syslinux 4.10-pre20 pxelinux.0 I'm able to get 3-6 MB/sec
> > > over http with VMXNET3 NIC in the VM.
> > >
> > > Did you have to do any special settings (or patches) to get to 45-70
> MB/s ?
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Still wondering about this.. :)
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> Nothing really.  I think either ESXi or a hosted product, at least the same
> subnet, possibly the same machine (likely a NAT vmnet if on a hosted
> system),  probably not vlance(pcnet32), a single large file (likely over
> 150 MB), probably lighttpd on Ubuntu-10.04 and I used cptime.c32, comparing
> its stated time to my watch to ensure it's reasonably correct.
>
> If you're doing 3-6 MB/s across subnets, especially multiple small files
> and/or across a link that's not at least 1Gbps, I'd probably say that might
> be decent.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

My testing was performed in a single subnet, so no routing involved.
The web server was apache2 running on CentOS 5, and I was transferring
an image size of around 300 MB.

I think the "poor" performance is because of the big amount of retransmits that
I'm seeing with syslinux pxe. When benchmarking the same setup/VMs from Linux
I get almost wirespeed and no restransmits..

Something in syslinux pxe stuff is causing those retransmits/drops..

-- Pasi