[syslinux] Issue with pxe chainloading and grub2

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:20:16 PDT 2012

On Sep 19, 2012 3:09 PM, "Anna Pereira" <annazpereira at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the very clear and detailed explanation of your setp.  Snipping
for now but may return to it if needed.

> 4.But on selecting the entry '*dev_build*' , pxegrub2.0 does get loaded,
> since I get the "Welcome to GRUB2" screen but then it fails to find
> grub.cfg.
>
> It looks like pxe is searching for grub.cfg not on Server1 (192.168.1.1)
> but on the dhcp server (192.168.1.2), because when I place grub.cfg in the
> dhcp tftp directory, it is picked up and loaded.
> Also instead of the DHCP server pointing to the multi pxe server menu on
> itself, if it is made to point to  Server 1 (i.e next-server 192.168.1.1 ;
> in the dhcp config file), then grub.cfg gets loaded correctly.* *So it
> looks like chain loading from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.1 somehow causes
> look-up of grub.cfg on the wrong server.
> This setup has no issues when using legacy GRUB.

Is gPXE/iPXE involed?  Tried a packet capture to see if pxegrub2.0 is doing
any DHCP (on the DHCP server could suffice but on a mirrored switchport
capturing the client's traffic is best)?  Which git commit (first 6-8
digits will suffice)?  Tried using the precompiled binaries in 4.06-pre11?
Tried the -W (uppercase) option yet?

> I am using pxechain.com from syslinux-4.05 and pxechn.c32 from the
syslinux
> git repository. Are there any known issues with grub2 and pxe
chainloading?

Grub2 specifically?  I haven't heard any.  Others?  Absolutely.  Microsoft
Windows Server 2008R2 Windows Deployment Services are why I wrote
pxechn.c32.

--Gene