[syslinux] Issue with pxe chainloading and grub2

Anna Pereira annazpereira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:16:27 PDT 2012

Hi Gene,

Thank you for replying and having the patience to go thorugh my long mail!!!

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2012 3:09 PM, "Anna Pereira" <annazpereira at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the very clear and detailed explanation of your setp.  Snipping
> for now but may return to it if needed.
>
> > 4.But on selecting the entry '*dev_build*' , pxegrub2.0 does get loaded,
> > since I get the "Welcome to GRUB2" screen but then it fails to find
> > grub.cfg.
> >
> > It looks like pxe is searching for grub.cfg not on Server1 (192.168.1.1)
> > but on the dhcp server (192.168.1.2), because when I place grub.cfg in
> the
> > dhcp tftp directory, it is picked up and loaded.
> > Also instead of the DHCP server pointing to the multi pxe server menu on
> > itself, if it is made to point to  Server 1 (i.e next-server 192.168.1.1
> ;
> > in the dhcp config file), then grub.cfg gets loaded correctly.* *So it
> > looks like chain loading from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.1 somehow causes
> > look-up of grub.cfg on the wrong server.
> > This setup has no issues when using legacy GRUB.
>
> Is gPXE/iPXE involed?  Tried a packet capture to see if pxegrub2.0 is doing
> any DHCP (on the DHCP server could suffice but on a mirrored switchport
> capturing the client's traffic is best)?  Which git commit (first 6-8
> digits will suffice)?  Tried using the precompiled binaries in 4.06-pre11?
> Tried the -W (uppercase) option yet?
>
> There is no gPXE/iPXE invloved. A tcpdump on the dhcp server reveals no
DHCP requests from pxegrub2.0. The git commit I used was 0a0e0e41ca and now
I have also tried 4.06-pre11. Finally what did the trick was the  "-W"
option. I did read in the doc that this is a Windows specific option but it
seems to have worked with my Solaris 11 grub2 image.  Now I get to the
point where grub.cfg is correctly located on Server1 and now it fails
because it cannot find the IP address of the repository where solaris.zlib
is located (this looks more like a Solaris issue that I probably need to
spend some time figuring out).

So, what does this "-W" option do??
Thanks for all your help again!!!
--Anna