[syslinux] any plans for UTF8 in vesamenu.c32?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Sep 23 05:52:06 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 07:34:49AM -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Uwe Galle <UweGalle at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > UTF8 is a standard today. Nevertheless it seems to be impossible
> > to display UTF8 characters in vesamenu.c32. Am I wrong?
> > There is nothing about that in the docs.

   :-)  the documention screams "we are a bootloader"

> I'm fairly certain that vesamenu.c32 carries the same restrictions as
> everything else in Syslinux and does not support anything but the OEM
> code pages.

So when someone whats to add UTF8 support,
it means also adding character set and such.

Please add UTF8 in new binaries, e.g. vesamemutf8.c32
to keep the existings binaries mean and lean.

Second though:
A filename like vesamenutf8.c32 is to long for the
minimalistic enviroment where a bootloader has to operate.
An 8.3 name would be vsmnutf8.c32.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.