[syslinux] Rock Ridge

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Apr 1 12:00:08 PDT 2013

On 04/01/2013 10:00 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Implicit unaligned access is also an issue.
>
> iso9660.c accesses 32 bit integers at lesewise unaligned even
> addresses relative to a cache tile start.
> In iso_get_inode() it does:
>     inode->next_extent.pstart = (sector_t)de->extent_le << blktosec;
>     inode->next_extent.len    = (sector_t)inode->blocks << blktosec;
>
> A byte shifter like mine has the disadvantage of copying data,
> but the advantage of adapting itself automatically to any byte-sex
> or alignment constraints (if only the compiler does it right).
>
> The temptation to make use of the integer size waste in ISO 9660
> should be rejected.

You mean the dual-endian numbers?  Yes, it is well known that the
bigendian stuff in ISO 9660 is broken on too many mastering platforms.

>>> [case sensitivity]
>> It is probably worth highlighting, though, since it may affect some
>> people's scripts.
>
> So what to offer them as migration aid ?
> (I don't want to get known as the guy who smartassedly breaks
>  other peoples' configurations.)

I think we just need to highlight it.  I don't think this is widely
relied upon; Unix users tend to expect case sensitivity, and non-Unix
users are not very likely to enable Rock Ridge.