[syslinux] Problem with pxelinux 5.0 and memtest

Koudai Aono koxudaxi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:56:56 PDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 14:04 PM, Koudai Aono wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 12:53 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> On 04/03/2013 07:52 PM, Koudai Aono wrote:
>>> but, you said "to slap a modern bzImage header on..." . it's very
>>> serious problem.
>>> I use linux 3.8.x kernel for new system. everyone will think syslinux
>>> project
>>> should support for new kernel and new hardware.
>>> however, some engineer like me must run newest kernel,legacy kernel and
>>> dos system on a lot of vender's pc.
>>>
>> Sorry, that made no sense whatsoever in the context of the memtest
>> issue.  The problem is that the memtest image is constructed in such a
>> way that it *can't* work reliably on some modern systems.
> ok... I will change memtest image or look for other memory diagnostics
> tools.
> However,I hope legacy kernel and dos system are detected on syslinux.
> thank you.

I have good news. memtest86+4.2 can boot on pxelinux 5.10-pre2 using
elf.c32.
The problem is solved!!

type in pxelinux.0
 >elf.c32 memtest
only this line. but, "memtest" is not "memtest.bin"

quote README.build-process in memtest86+ source directory
> memtest.bin is the floppy/lilo bootable target.
> memtest is the ELF bootable target.
We must build "memtest" from source code.
how to build memtest86+4.2 with gcc-4.7 :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/memtest86+/+bug/1071209

you told me  memtest "image"  has the problem. I could find the way.
thank you for your big advices.

I want the way is True.

AONO Koudai