[syslinux] Syslinux "new" vs "old": strange difference on USB flash set-up

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:25:05 PDT 2013

Hi Gene:

> I wouldn't use superfloppy mode on a USB disk so large.
> Why not partition it?

My Knoppix 7.04 (i.e., the previous release) is installed on a 2G USB.
Installed by an identical procedure using syslinux(3.36) and the
fateful command ' syslinux -s'

I agree, the subject test 7.05 USB (4G) is rather large for the
purpose.  It's been the only stick I could get my hands on for these
experiments quickly.  Anyway, plenty of space left to fit the
Vitruvian Penguin image (if I can get it :)

When fully satisfied, I'll probably end up with the existing (updated) 2G
USB
or maybe 1G (no matter how expensive these USB sticks are these days
money is no object for me.   If somehow I'm left with the 4G stick, at the
exorbitant prices USB flashes sell today, i definitely set up three more
primary partitions or that much more logicals to fit as many distributions
on the stick as practicable :).
As an aside, on first knoppix boot-up, you're offered to set up an optional
space
for permanent data on the USB.  So, on a typical 740M or so ISO image I
transfer to the stick, I have at least another 300M to play with on a
say, 1G stick.

> Are you writing an ISO straight to the disk?
Yes.  The usual procedure.  As a current example, the downloaded
'KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN.iso' takes about 731115520 bytes
(or 700M, as they say).

> Where did you get the syslinux installers from?  The precompiled in
> the official binary/source archive on kernel.org perhaps?

I downloaded the
 syslinux-5.01.tar.bz2 (6726562 bytes)
from www.kernel.org//pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/5.xx
and compiled syslinux(5.01) executable (240002 bytes) from this source
tarball.

By contrast, I forgot where and how I obtained
 the syslinux(3.36) executable (20880 bytes).
The one that works for me ;)

Thank you for your interest,
-- Alex