[syslinux] BUG report v.5.xx and LSS16 images

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:56:02 PDT 2013

> Hi Ady,
>
> Alex:
> On "2.Bad", it seems the loader doesn't/cannot paint the graphical logo
> ('logo.16' in the 'boot.msg').
>
> Ady:
> One possibility is that the "ASCII 24" character in DISPLAY files
> (which indicates the presence of the LSS16 filename) is being parsed
> incorrectly in Syslinux 5.xx.
>
> Alex:
> You're right.
> For completeness, 'boot.msg' starts like so:
>
> 0f 31 37 0c 18 6c 6f 67  6f 2e 31 36 0a 00 0d 20  |.17..logo.16... |
>
> One can easily spot the Ctrl-X (0x18) "introducing" the 'logo.16'
> graphics file.  So, as you say, the parsing might be incorrect here.
>
> ------
>
> Ady:
> Considering that 16-bit code for COMBOOT was dropped out from
> Syslinux 5.xx, the other possibility is that Syslinux 5.xx is not
> supporting LSS16 files at all.
> I would suggest using Syslinux 4.06 official binaries.
>
> Alex:
> Right again!
>
> ------
>
> TO SUMMARIZE
>  Legend:
>   GOOD:  Splash screen with the Vitruvian Penguin in all its glory.
>
>   BAD:   No splashy screen.  No penguin of any kind.  Just two black text
>          lines at the top (the second with the "boot: " prompt) on a blue,
>          ugly background
>          (obviously, not as Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Knopper designed it).
>
> 1.  4.06 compiled.  /usr/bin/syslinux -i ...             GOOD
>
> 2.  4.06 binary.    ...mtools/syslinux -i ...            GOOD
>
> 3.  5.01 compiled or binary                              BAD
>
> (now I expect to be the laughing stock of my neighbors and friends for not
>  using the latest Syslinux version.  No problem.  I'm used to it.
>  I've suffered many other indignities all my life)

Hi Alex,

First, most users are still not using Syslinux 5.xx (based on the
current packages available in most distros and "multiboot-related"
tools). Second, if a prior version works better and fits your needs,
there shouldn't be any problem.

Regarding KNOPPIX, independently of the " 'ASCII 24' + LSS16 +
'newline' " support, there are some potential improvements that could
be made to the DISPLAY files in KNOPPIX (7.0.x) so to make them more
"usable" (and readable) with newer versions of Syslinux, with or
without the "logo.16" LSS16 image.

Now, I want to clarify that, AFAIK, this case should be considered a
BUG in Syslinux 5.xx, as there is NO official documentation of any
kind stating that LSS16 images are not supported anymore. Hopefully
this BUG can be solved for the next release of Syslinux.

Regards,
Ady.